This is the audio from our video here: https://youtu.be/GpJJkSBP-YQ
They say “never start with an apology”, so we won’t. Not everyone loves vintage guitars – in fact many people think it’s all a load of pish. Dan and I are not such people and so we took this opportunity to visit ATB Guitars in Cheltenham, UK and fill our boots with an afternoon of complete and utter kids-in-a-sweetshop indulgence.
There is no real point to this video, other than to remind ourselves that it’s only this very moment that ever matters; simply to do and to experience.
MASSIVE thanks to Mike and David at ATB for making us so welcome and letting us have the run of the store! https://www.atbguitars.com/ Instagram @atbguitars
Q: Are vintage guitars really ‘better’?
A: No. Modern guitars aren’t better either.
Q: You couldn’t tell in a blind test though, could you?
A: Maybe, but if your brain is trying to tell, you’re not doing anything relating to actual music.
Q: That’s every guitar gear video ever, isn’t it?
A: Touché. Probably! The bit after the video in the venue or studio is
Q: Did Mick buy that Strat?
A: Not today. But one day when the day is right I will.
Q: Why didn’t you play the //insert any guitar we didn’t play here//?
A: We chose the ones that interested us the most.
We’ll answer everything else we can in Monday’s VCQ.
Enjoy the episode!
Pedals & stuff in this episode…
• Keeley D&M Drive
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2oTblU1
• DanDrive Austin Pride
Find Dan on Instagram @dandrivepedal
• Catalinbread Echorec
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2mORqUL
• Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2RVldeS
• Supro Tremolo
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2pZrAkZ
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Here we come, walking down the… 0:00
- 1957 Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster: 02:30
- 1959 Gibson ES-335 and more old hollowbodies… 04:45
- Plug in the Switchmaster and ’59 ES-335: 12:40
- Mick reflects on his reissue 335 and the real ’59: 17:10
- Amps today? 18:35
- Plug in the ’59 355 and ’66 Casino: 19:20
- Effects today?: 23:02
- 1955 Gibson Les Paul Custom: 25:25
- A gilding of Goldtops: 27:40
- A look at some Les Paul Juniors: 35:25
- Gibson SGs: 36:45
- Plug in the ’55 Goldtop & ’64 SG: 39:05
- Plug in the ’53 & ’57 Les Pauls: 48:40
- Dan reflects on the ’57 Les Paul compared to his ’58 Reissue: 54:40
- Fender corner! 58:20
- Strat heaven: 1:04:43
- 1963 Korina Body Fender Stratocaster: 01:14:49
- L Series Fender serial numbers?: 01:17:07
- The only bases anyone ever needs: 01:18:30
- A note on Fender headstocks: 01:19:00
- 1974 Fender Hardtail Stratocaster: 01:20:00
- The only reissue in the shop! 1:20:40
- A brief look at the amps: 01:21:30
- Plug in the ’58 Strat & Tele: 01:22:16
- Plug in the ’61 and ’63 Strats: 01:31:30
- Plug in the ’58 Jazzmaster: 01:37:20
- Plug in the ’62 Stratocaster: 01:42:48
- A note on old guitars: 01:50:02
- Thank you! 01:51:00
Guitars in this episode - check https://www.atbguitars.com/ to see what’s still there!
• 1957 Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster
• 1959 Gibson ES-335
• 1959 Gibson ES-355
• 1955 Gibson Les Paul Custom
• 1957 Gibson Les Paul
• 1953 Gibson Les Paul
• 1955 Gibson Les Paul
• 1964 Gibson Firebird VII
• 1961 Gibson SG (Les Paul) Junior TV Yellow
• 1955 Gibson Les Paul Junior TV Yellow Maple Body
• 1965 Gibson SG Standard
• 1964 Gibson SG Standard
• 1958 Fender Telecaster Custom - Prototype/Catalogue
• 1958 Fender Jazzmaster
• 1966 Fender Jazzmaster
• 1963 Fender Esquire
• 1957 Fender Stratocaster
• 1958 Fender Stratocaster
• 1959 Fender Stratocaster
• 1961 Fender Stratocaster
• 1962 Fender Stratocaster
• 1963 Fender Stratocaster (Korina body)
• 1974 Fender Hardtail Stratocaster
• 1982 Fender Stratocaster
Amps in this episode
• 1955 Fender Deluxe (5E3 narrow panel)
• 1959 Magnatone 280A
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
Please buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives
Please visit our preferred retailers!
UK & Europe: Andertons Music http://bit.ly/2cRvIvt
Australia: Pedal Empire http://bit.ly/2mWmJQf