We challenge each other to put together a whole guitar rig on a small budget – one guitar, one amp and three pedals on a board. What do we choose and who wins?
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Yep, it’s come to this. We’ve finally succumbed to the ravages of clickbait-driven populist drivel… and made a very long, discursive, in-depth video again. Ha! But at least this one features some cheap gear for a change. ‘Don’t you mean ‘affordable’, Michael?’ No, we mean CHEAP. Cheaper than chips. The cheapest chips in town. Erm, and some slightly less cheap and much tastier ones too.
There are some exceptional sounds today, and some to which we take exception. There’s a lot of hiss, a bit of pish but I’ve run out of alliterative ideas so I’ll finish with tish, fish McNish.
Come on, make a wish.
Final scores on the doors were:
Mick’s rig: £1,034 – not £900 like he said at the end of the video
Dan’s rig: £466 – not £360 like he said at the end of the video.
Enjoy the episode!
Pedals & stuff in this episode…
• Squier Affinity Telecaster
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2PDhnrF
• Tone City King Of Blues
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2sFcSng
• Mooer E-Lady Flanger
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2g7sSnk
• EHX Memory Toy Echo
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2Q0uOkd
• Stagg 9V PSU
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2sHUlGS
• RockJam GA20W
• Marshall 1960B cabinet with Celestion G12T-75 speakers (purchased used off eBay but also available new…)
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2EAxaRK
• Epiphone Casino (purchased used off eBay but also available new…)
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/38RZ2hX
• Foxgear Manic Fuzz
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2Z2z86N
• EHX The Worm (purchased used off eBay but also available as a new version…)
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2rQfi2t
• Tone City Kaffir Lime
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2Q3V64W
• The GigRig Modular Power Supply System
* Why do we have preferred retailer links? Find out here: http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro and… 0:00
- The rules: 1:01
- Guitars? 2:33
- Mick’s eBay guitar and overly long vlog (that Dan forgot to make): 5:10
- Mick’s other eBay purchase: 7:57
- Mick’s other pedalboard choices: 10:00
- Mick’s board choice: 11:35
- …and power supply? 12:05
- Mick’s board build: 12:32
- Mick’s total: 12:55
- The vlog that Dan forgot to make: 13:00
- Amp choices – Dan: 14:55
- Mick’s amp: 16:25
- Dan’s board reveal: 17:10
- Dan’s board and power: 18:20
- Mick’s power supply fail: 19:15
- Worm! 19:45
- Turning Dan;s amp on: 22:05
- Noisy power supply: 22:30
- Dan’s sound - finally: 24:00
- It’s awful: 25:00
- King Of Blues pedal: 25:40
- Let’s vastly improve that rubbish amp: 29:10
- Mooer E-Lady Flanger: 34:05
- Boss Katana 100: 41:23
- Low gain drive from the Katana: 43:10
- Worm, again! 46:20
- Kaffir Lime OD: 47:12
- Foxgear Manic Fuzz: 49:50
- Buying on eBay? 59:50
- Eh, there’s a Dream Rig Challenge? 1:02:30
- Your next realistic upgrade: 1:03:40
- Final spends, incorrect as it turns out: 1:05:03
(Mick’s was actually £1,034, Dan’s was £466)
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.
You can buy TPS merch to support our efforts https://www.thatpedalshowstore.com
We are on Patreon – crowdfunding for creatives
Please visit our preferred retailers!
UK & Europe: Andertons Music http://bit.ly/2cRvIvt
Australia: Pedal Empire http://bit.ly/2mWmJQf